What causes phone cases to turn yellow?
Yellow phone cases turn heads, not for compliments but for strange looks. It’s never a good feeling when someone is irked looking at your case. Some people find discolored phone cases unappealing or off-putting because they make the phone appear old, dirty, or damaged. A yellowed phone case may also give the impression that the owner does not care for their phone, which can be off-putting to some. Furthermore, a discoloured phone case may clash with the color or design of the phone, making the overall appearance less appealing.
Sullied Transparent case
Reasons why phone cases turn yellow:
- Exposure to Sunlight: Sunlight exposure can cause the plastic material of phone cases to degrade over time, resulting in discolouration and yellowing.
- Chemical reactions: Certain chemicals in everyday items such as hand creams, makeup, and even the oils from our skin can react with the plastic material of phone cases, causing them to yellow.
- Exposure to heat: Heat can also cause the plastic to degrade, resulting in phone case losing its transparency and yellowing. If the phone is left in a hot car or exposed to other high-temperature environments, this can happen.
- Age-worn: Even if a phone case is not exposed to direct sunlight or chemicals, it may yellow over time due to the plastic's natural ageing and wear.
Wondering how to evade this “phone case getting yellow” situation? If you want to avoid this problem, you can opt for skins or vinyl wraps instead of phone cases.
Reasons why skins/vinyl wraps don’t lose their true colour unlike silicon/plastic cases.
- UV resistance: Skins/vinyl wraps are often made with UV-resistant materials that prevent them from losing their true colour due to UV exposure.
- Skins are made from materials that include high-quality vinyl, adhesives, and protective coatings.
- The materials have been designed to withstand UV light and other environmental factors that can cause discoloration and degradation.
- Transparent cases are typically made of polycarbonate or other plastic materials that are prone to turn yellow over time.
iPhone 13 Pro in Carbon Fibre Red
Skins are thin, lightweight adhesive covers that can be easily applied to your phone without adding bulk or weight. Vinyl wraps/skins offer more durability and protection. Another great thing about phone skins and vinyl wraps is that they are easy to maintain. Unlike phone cases, which can become dirty and difficult to clean over time, skins and wraps can be wiped down with a damp cloth to keep them looking fresh and new. And if you ever want to remove them, they won't leave any sticky residue or damage your phone in any way. So, if you want to keep your phone looking fresh and stylish, skip the yellowing phone case and go for a trendy skin or vinyl wrap. Not only will your phone look amazing, but you'll also have peace of mind knowing that it's protected from scratches, fingerprints, etc. Skins and vinyl wraps are available in various designs, patterns, and colours, giving you the freedom to customize your phone as per your style and preferences. Think of phone skins as the fashionable jackets to your phone's superhero costume. They provide an extra layer of protection while also looking fabulous. So, if you want to keep your phone looking fresh and stylish, skip the yellowing phone case and go for a trendy skin or vinyl wrap. Moreover, they are easy to remove and replace, allowing you to switch up your phone's look as often as you want.
In conclusion, while phone cases offer excellent protection for your phone, they can turn yellow over time, which can be off-putting. If you want to avoid this issue, you should choose skins or vinyl wraps as a more durable and customizable alternative. So, protect your phone and keep it looking fresh with the right kind of cover!